Since I greatly reduced my alcohol consumption, I realized how much drinking felt almost mandatory during most holidays, most of them anchored in a boozy tradition.
Since I follow a low-alcohol diet (not to mention plant-based), I usually tend to feel a little boring with my tall glass of water.
This year, I will come prepared. I will feel festive! And I would like to help you, too!
At some party events, I allow myself a tiny bit of alcohol (a little high-quality organic wine never killed anyone), but for the most part, I will be sipping on the super-yummy, alcohol-free drinks I suggest below. Pouring these drinks in beautiful glasses such as wine, Champagne or Martini makes them that much more fun.
Eat, drink and be merry!
1. Green Juice or Smoothie
Is there any better time of the year to have a yummy green juice? I think not. With your tall green drink in hand, you will look and feel better than any drunken leprechaun I’ve ever met.
It is always preferable to make your own green juice or smoothie at home, (see below for my fave) where you can save cash and select your own top quality organic ingredients. Of course, any organic store-bought green drink will do just fine. Just make sure all ingredients are organic and that the sugar content is in check.
St-Patrick’s Day Green Smoothie
Yield: 2 servings
• 1 avocado
• 1/2 banana
• 1 cucumber
• a fistful of kale or romaine or spinach
• coconut water (or purified water)
• a sprinkle of cinnamon or some cacao (optional)
1. Blend ingredients in a high-powered blender.
One of my favourite party drinks, Kombucha is a probiotic, raw food that aids digestion and boosts the immune system with its enzymes and Vitamin B. With a nice fizz, it is fermented tea that tastes and feels delicious and festive. It even looks like Champagne!
The Chinese have been using it for 2000 years and refer to it as “The Tea of Immortality”. Good enough for me! My absolute favorite flavor is anything ginger. 3. Coconut Water
Fresh Coconut Water (not to be confused with coconut milk) is one of the healthiest foods you can put in your body. With its elevated electrolyte content, it is highly hydrating and contains many vitamins and minerals your body will thank you for. Plus, it is super refreshing at a hot, irish party. I avoid canned coconut water and make sure I buy 100% Coconut Water with no added anything. With a twist of lemon and few strawberries popped-into a martini glass, you got yourself a party!
4. Pomegranate Juice Pomegranates are low-sugar fruits rich in vitamins C, E and whole range vitamin Bs and minerals. They are alkalizing and anti-inflammatory. Need more? They also contain lots of antioxidants and flavonoids (all the healthy stuff in red wine, without the damaging alcohol). Because of all of these amazing qualities, I drink Pomegranate juice every single day, midsummer or not. For an added festive feeling, I like to add a little pear nectar or mix it with some Kombucha. I buy 100% pomegranate juice, not from concentrate.
What are your favorite festive alcohol-free drink?
Would love to hear!.
Just enter your comment below
Jivan Dios is a SE Trauma and Family Constellation Therapist living in Stockholm, Sweden and on the island of Crete, in Greece. Visit her at www.kindfulness.se